Thursday, August 14, 2014

Mountains and more mountains

So I've ridden through the Rockies & survived! Now I am attempting to pedal through Wyoming.



When I first entered southern WY quite honestly I was not impressed. The land is as bear as can be!


It also didn't help that I was dealing with a cold & my knees and back were definitely happy! So I essentially collapsed in Rawlins, WY, that is after getting a beer & sharing it with a moose - check it out:

I know I look very tanned. I think some of that is DIRT. Getting into town that day I had a major flat along route 80 west. My hands were all greased up & later found a lot of grime around my face.

Since then I have cursed out the motel manager people for disturbing my peace on my rest day (another story), hitched a ride twice in one day (on a truck & then in a Toyota hybrid) since my blown out tire's boot didn't hold, met 3 Irish cyclists but left them due to aforementioned car rides, and got both my tires replaced in a cool town called Lander, WY; and have slept on the floors of two churches. Here's a picture of the truck driver, Greg Brown, who dropped me off at a type of truck stop in Jeffrey City;  and a picture of the nice gentleman, Darly, who drove me to Lander with his wife, Charlene.  He later took me and another cyclist, Nate, to the Pope Agie river at a place called "Sinks canyon".










This trip/ voyage has been definitely different from anything I've ever done. There have been many times I've wanted to quote but he conditions I've set up have been so extreme that it wouldn't be really easy to quit and I guess that's the point. Sometimes determination is born from the fact that the "easiest" thing to do is to continue with the "hard" thing and hope that the difficult might be hard just at that moment only. Still there have been plenty of nice moments mixed in with the scary/ somewhat overwhelming ones. Till we speak again, may we all have happy trails ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment